I just got home from the most perfect weekend in Harveyville, KS at Yarn School. I spent most of my spinning time working on plying with thread. I feel like I'm getting a little better, but the main thing I need to work on is getting more twist into my singles. Part of the problem is my broken wheel. Things should improve once I get the replacement part.
I got to spend some time in the Dye Lab. Here are a few commercial yarns I dyed:
I also dyed fiber. This super bright wool was in our fiber goody bag.
This is a Merino/silk fiber I brought from home. The colors ran together more than I wanted. I need to remember to leave some white space next time I dye!
I made a few batts on the drum carder that I didn't get a chance to spin while I was there. This one is fiber I dyed, which turned out muddy and ugly. I had hoped that carding it would maybe improve it a bit, but I was wrong. It's still ugly. But who knows, it might spin into something lovely.
The other batts are a random mish-mash of fiber that was provided for carding.
I can't wait for next year!