Thursday, October 26, 2006

Kimchee!!

Recently we got a gigantic Chinese cabbage from the CSA. We asked the farmers what to do with it (really, it was huge!) and they said they only ever make kimchee. So kimchee it is! I've never made it before, and I'm pretty sure I haven't even eaten it, but I love pickles, so I thought it would be worth a shot.

Here's the cabbage. I should have put something there for scale, but basically it took up the entire counter!


Next we have the daikon radish, also from the CSA. I love the hot pink! They are also very spicy.


I sliced the radish with the mandoline. Aren't they pretty?

Cabbage and radish sit together in salt water overnight.



Then you drain the vegetables, saving the liquid. Add green onions, garlic, ginger, cayenne and sugar. See how the cabbage shriveled up?



Into a jar it goes! Pour the remaining liquid to cover.



It will sit like this for three days on the counter covered with a clean dishtowel.



After three days it looks like this: (sorry for the blurry night photo)



This is what it looks like today:



A successful experiment! It was easy to make and very tasty. I didn't use quite as much cayenne as the recipe calls for, even though I like spicy, in hopes that other people will help me eat it.

No comments: